New Adventure Serial in development
I am currently editing the prologue for a new adventure serial here on the blog. This piece serves as a prelude to my upcoming guest post for the AtoZ Challenge in September. While that guest post is already drafted, I realized it would benefit from a practical demonstration of a creative process driven by the friction of randomness using Tabletop RPG (TTRPG) mechanics. While this method is not new, I hope to introduce it to writers looking to leverage externalized prompts to resolve story outcomes.
Set in the grim “Old World" of Warhammer, the prologue introduces Jost Oberholtzer, a fatherly fisherman, and Janderke “Jan" Steuben, a young boatman. Jan owns a small rowboat on the River Stir, frequently taking Jost to well-known watering holes near Tauer, their small village on the border of Talabecland and Stirland.
When severe weather forces them on a week-long journey nearly 100 miles from home, Jost must guide and mentor Jan as the young man is thrust into the cutthroat, dangerous world beyond Tauer’s wooden palisades.
To highlight the creative process behind their journey, this serial will feature extensive endnotes detailing the narrative friction introduced by the dice and mechanics of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Second Edition (WFRP 2e). Because this serial is just one chapter of a much larger solo campaign I am playing through, you can expect to see much more of Jost and Jan in the future.
Comments
Post a Comment